SSEA Staff carrying out rain gauge maintenance in the Township of Tiny.



View of Sturgeon Bay

If you are planning to do work in or near water, you may require permits or approvals from municipal, provincial and/or federal regulatory authorities. These permits must be obtained before you start any work.

SSEA is a non-regulatory agency and does not issue permits or approvals.

For municipal permits/approvals, contact your municipality.

The location of your property in the Severn Sound area determines which provincial/federal agency you should contact first. The agency will guide you through the process of obtaining all necessary approvals required under provincial and federal legislation, and they can also help you select the best methods to undertake your project in a way that is safe for the environment.

  • If your property fronts onto the Trent-Severn Waterway, contact Trent-Severn Waterway
  • If your property is in Oro-Medonte or Springwater Townships, contact your local Conservation Authority: Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority or Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
  • If your property is in Midland, Penetanguishene, or the Townships of Severn, Tay, or Tiny, contact the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (Midhurst District office)
  • If your property is in Georgian Bay Township, contact the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources Parry Sound District office)
  • Bryozoan found near Cognashene September 2010

    Help Protect Ontario's Natural Heritage
    Report Resource Abuse

    1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)

    The toll-free TIPS-MNR reporting line provides a direct line for the public to report resource violations to the ministry 24 hours a day, seven days a week from anywhere in Ontario.
    More from the Backgrounder...

    Fisheries and Oceans Canada has developed a number of helpful resources:

  • Working Near Water – What You Need To Do to comply with the Federal Fisheries Act. Note: additional provincial or municipal approvals or permits may be required.
  • Ontario Working Around Water fact sheets provide information on fish habitat to assist property owners in the planning and approvals processes necessary for different types of work projects that may affect fish habitat. The fact sheets outline best practices for building materials and common waterfront projects.
  • Ontario Operational Statements provide property owners with information and techniques that will allow projects to proceed without affecting fish habitat and without requiring a Fisheries Act authorization. These guidelines pertain only to federal requirements; additional provincial or municipal approvals or permits may be required. There are Operational Statements for dock and boathouse construction, moorings, beach creation, aquatic vegetation removal, and more.
  • Primers are available for common waterfront projects: the Dock Primer, the Shore Primer, and the Fish Habitat Primer.